Translate

sunnuntaina, huhtikuuta 02, 2006

IL MIO PALAZZO

(Seuraava postaus on sitten taas suomeksi. Nyt yleisön pyynnöstä ohjeita Perugiaan menijöille.)

The building in the middle, that's where I stayed when I was a student in Perugia.

Viale Pompeo Pellini, scala A, terzo piano. Third floor, shared a room with another Finnish girl from my school in Finland. She had a scholarship for one month, I for longer. Funny language, Italian. They call blocks of flats (apartment buildings) palazzos. Il palazzo. I can still hear Stefano and Claudio looking up where our balcony was and shouting: "Rita, scendi!" Rita, come down!

How did we find lodgings? Okay, here's the thing. We stayed the first night in a little hotel, which we had booked ahead. Our Italian teacher in Finland had given us advice on how to proceed. We were to go to the lobby of the university, Palazzo Gallenga in the morning, and someone would come and offer us a room. That we did, without a care in the world. It's a small town situated on a hill and the centre is easy to find on top.

Two ladies immediate came to offer us rooms to rent. We checked out the first one, the palazzo in the picture. The signora said "It's not far, two steps." "Due passi." Boy did we walk. but it was worth it. The room was very nice. We went to see the room the other lady offered, too, but didn't like it one bit. It was a good thing we checked that out, because then we knew how lucky we were to have found the one we found. A brisk walk to the university in the mornings uphill, but going home was downhill, hah hah. Down the road on Viale Pompeo Pellini there was a swimming pool where we could hang out at the weekends for a small fee. There was a cafeteria and music over some loudspeakers; cool!

I learnt italian in class of course, but I think mostly I learnt in cafes, on the steps of the cathedral, in the street bars, in the basement cafe of the university called Il Circolo. One extremely fond memory, which I will cherish forever is when a friend said to me: "Hey Rita, wherever you go, there seems to be a language lesson". He said that to me once at the university cafeteria when I sat there with some friends talking and reading and writing... just for the fun of it!

For those of you who don't know, I am a language teacher. (English, Italian, Swedish, French...Sidelink Pretty Polly; my own company)

6 kommenttia:

  1. En ymmärrä miten osaat opettaa niin montaa kieltä.
    Minulle yhdessäkin on tarpeeksi(basta e avanza)! :)

    *hatunnosto*

    VastaaPoista
  2. Ciao Sari,

    Ei siinä mitään. Pitää vaan valmistella oppitunti kerrallaan ja virittäytyä kulloisellekin kielelle. Samat perusjutut toistuvat minkä tahansa kielen opettamisessa. Eikä minun edes tarvitse itse niitä kieliä pitkälle hallita. Kunhan saan kursslaiset oppimaan ja tajuamaan mistä kieltenopiskelussa on kyse. Open pitää puolestaan itse pitää mielessä että ei siinä minusta ole kyse vaan oppilaista. :)

    En muuten pääse sinua kommentoimaan enkä Arkitehtia, koska Blogger ei päästä minua minnekään missä on word verification päällä, mutta käyn kyllä siellä blogissasi. Che gatto tan bello!

    VastaaPoista
  3. Anonyymi3:29 ap.



    grazie mille del posting (+foto).

    I know it's pretty much "hilling" up and down in Perugia. On one hand I love walking, hiking, but on the other ... I'm unsure how to tackle the issue every single day. Hopefully it'll be a leisurely stroll, else I'm turning into one of those chic Mediterranean shepherds going about their daily life, but I'll be «sans âne» of course. where can one buy a donkey in Umbria? lol

    Considering l'universita per stranieri is ever so popular, I doubt they're still providing a service to help finding accommodation. My hunch is it'll be every man for himself, when I get there. Uffa ...
    Heck, I can't even access the "extra" service offered to students from china&japan ... according to the prospectus, there's a liaison officer for this 'niche' (but growing rapidly) students.

    «I am a language teacher. (English, Italian, swedish, French...»
    non insegni il finlandese allora?
    CHE PECCATO - lol

    VastaaPoista
  4. Ciao Emme (m)!

    Ma quale idea! Un asino come mezzo di trasporto a Perugia! How delightful. I can see you now, riding on donkey back, carrying your books... hah hah. LOL Another prize-winning idea might be a pair of rollerskates, but that might cause some serious problems.

    Yes, I have taught Finnish at some point in my life to Swedish speaking people, but it's not really my thing, and I haven't learnt Finnish in that way. I do, however, have a book which teaches me to teach Finnish as a foreign language if the need ever arises.

    Do you know any Philippino? I know how to say good morning: Magandang umaga.

    VastaaPoista
  5. Anonyymi7:13 ap.

    ciao erre

    Il filipino, mah ... non lo conosco niente. infatti ci sono molti imigrati filipini qui pero' non ho mai assagiato la loro cucina, purtroppo.

    m

    VastaaPoista
  6. Erre - quanto mi piace essere Erre! Grazie, Emme.

    VastaaPoista

Kiitos ihanista kommenteistanne. ❤️🖤 ♥ ♥ ♥

Blogissa on moderointi.
Julkaisen kommentit heti kun olen lukenut ne, mutta iltaisin en ole netissä.
Poistun noin kello 16 ja palaan aamulla.

🌺 🌸 💕 🌿 🍎 🍏
❤️ 💜 🩷 💚 🧡 🤎 💛 🩶 🩵 💙
🙂 😀 😎 🤔 😊